Staying fit and healthy and losing weight were the top New Year's resolutions in 2017 and it is highly likely that fitness, health and weight loss will be on top of many people's resolution lists again this year.
The good news: Those of us who explicitly make resolutions are ten times more likely to attain our goals than people who don't explicitly make resolutions.
The bad news: Only 8% of people who make New Year's resolutions are able to succeed at them entirely to their satisfaction. Let's try to raise that statistic to a higher percentage, and at the very least, help to make sure you are among the 8% who succeed at our resolutions this year!
Steps to Take to Ensure Your Success:
- Make your goal(s) measurable. For example, instead of saying that your new year's resolution is to "lose weight," it is more effective to set a well-defined measurable goal such as "I’d like to lose one to two pounds per week until I reach my goal of fifteen pounds lost" or "my goal is to fit back into my favourite pair of jeans or dress”. Make your goal challenging, but achievable. Write down your goal, sign it, date it, and put it somewhere prominent.
- Commit yourself to your goal. It may sound stupid, but writing it down is a way to focus and commit yourself. Write in your notebook or a day planner or on a Facebook status or Twitter. “This January I will achieve my first goal of x lbs lost.
- Tell your friends and family. By sharing your resolution with your friends and family, they will be able to understand what your aim is and some may join in supporting you as they too may have the same resolution.
- Reach out to your online social network for support. Letting your online network know your new year's resolution is also helpful. If you are trying to lose weight, then post your weekly weigh-ins and upload them to your own Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. Your friends will likely leave comments praising your good efforts, which will keep you motivated. Additionally, add your weekly weigh-ins to Slim & Save Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram and the Forum, as well as sharing your success with fellow members you may find you inspire others too. If you are having trouble getting the motivation to start your plan or having an 'off' day post as a status that you are in need of motivation and you will find people will positively respond and help spur you on.
- Use Slim & Save online groups, Forums and blogs. Talking with other Slim & Save members can really help as they too are going through the same thing or have been in the same situation and can share their experiences. Read the useful blogs that our knowledgeable admin team have written and take time to look at the fabulous transformations and journeys some of our members have been on.
- Prepare. This step is incredibly important. To succeed at weight loss, before you even begin, it's crucial to remove temptations in your refrigerator, pantry, cupboards, or on your countertops. Find any junk food or high-calorie food that you find too and give it to your local food bank.
Most importantly, plan out what you will eat for the week ahead by putting your packs in order. If you are on the lifestyle plan, have a look at our online recipes for your low carb meal to get some inspiration.
Also, prepare some healthy snacks like veg sticks that you enjoy such as sliced up carrots, red, green and yellow peppers or maybe some cucumber and portion them in grab-and-go containers. On Sundays, you could prepare these snacks ready to take to work or simply to take out and about.
Have some emergency bars in your bag, car or desk at work just in case you are in a situation whereby you have had to rush out the house and have forgotten to take a pack with you.
Make sure you complete your initial measurements and current weight on the weight and measurements tracker this way you will also be able to visually see the journey you have come on over the weeks.
- Plan a reward for yourself when you achieve each mini goal. It could be a new dress or suit that you would like to fit into when you reach your final goal. However, your reward doesn't need to be clothing it could be a trip to the cinema, a spa day, a weekend away, makeup or even a magazine.
Why not write it down "If I reach ___ pounds, I will allow myself to buy/go to/do __________" and sign the piece of paper. Carry it with you in your wallet, bag or purse and if you feel the temptation to stray off plan take out the piece of paper and remind yourself of how much you want your reward.
- Visualise what success at your resolution looks and feels like. Spend a few minutes thinking about what it will look like and feel like when you achieve your goal. If your resolution is to fit in your favourite jeans again, imagine yourself wearing them and how you will feel. Perhaps you'll be lighter in your step, and it will increase your confidence in social situations. Try to visualise your success in as much detail as possible and spend a few minutes each day to set an intention for yourself.
- Believe in your ability to do this, praise yourself, and take pride. Have confidence in yourself and your ability to commit to your resolution, and be proud of each accomplishment along the way toward your goal.
- If you mess up, forgive yourself and recommit to your goal. Despite all your best efforts and attention to steps one through nine, you might occasionally mess up. We are all human, and it happens to all of us. Rather than allowing this slip-up to make you feel bad and snowball into days off plan, forgive yourself and recommit yourself to your goal. The best part, the next day, I didn't have a headache or a hangover, and I recommitted to my goal of refraining from drinking until the end of the Challenge. Remember how important your goal is, and remember why you want to achieve it.
I hope you now feel more confident in achieving your resolutions. There is no time like the present so let make 2018 your year. Good luck!
Do you have any tips on how to fulfil the New Year's resolutions? Share them below to be in with a chance of winning a set of Bluetooth Scales. Our favourite comment will be chosen on Tuesday 9th January at 4 pm! Be sure to leave your comment below to be in with a chance to win!
Win these fantastic Bluetooth Scales - Log your weight on your phone!