It is not uncommon for dieters to set large weight loss goals this is because many of us think back to a time when they were younger maybe to their college years or even their wedding day.
Some even feel like they should look like a supermodel because that’s what society leads us to believe is the perfect figure when in fact being a healthy weight is much more achievable and better for you.
Setting extreme goals can set you up for disappointment and failure. You can achieve your goal weight as long as it is reasonable and attainable.
This is a journey you are on that will not only improve your life but will improve your health and finally gain control of your weight. Remember its not about looking for perfection.
So you may be wondering “How can I do this?” well the answer is by setting mini goals. Did you know that losing 10lbs can reduce your blood pressure, your blood sugar and your cholesterol?
Setting a goal a month at a time allows your body the time to adjust to you being on a weight loss plan. This will certainly help you in achieving your ultimate goal.
Track your progress using our weight loss tracker and joining one of our monthly challenges. Most importantly don't forget to reward yourself for all your hard work in achieving each mini goal by doing something as simple as buying some new makeup, some new shoes or maybe a trip to the cinema. By rewarding yourself for each mini-goal you achieve your mindset will be much more positive and you will be more likely to achieve your next mini goal.
Here are 5 top tips on setting your mini goals
- Don't expect to lose 10lbs a week think short term at first. If you have a long road ahead why not set a month mini goal to lose 5 to 10% of your body weight first?
- Be prepared. What will your strategy be? Have you got all your packs ready for the month? Don't leave it until the last minute to order. Have you set up a motivation board or diary? Motivation boards and diaries are fantastic visuals to show what you want to achieve such as a new outfit you would like to fit into or be able to have that operation you need to improve your health. Write down all the positives of losing weight, print out motivational quotes. Write about how you feel now and how you will feel in 6 months time.
- Distractions help with those difficult times when temptations are rife and cravings come and go. Plan to do some light weekly exercise such as gentle toning, walking, swimming or maybe some light aerobics. Add to your motivation board or diary and track how you feel each week, i.e. has your breathing become easier. Perhaps take up a new hobby painting, crafts, knitting or crochet. Something simple like calling a friend or family member when cravings pop up. Plan ahead and list what you will do to distract yourself before you need a distraction then you can look at the list and pick something.
- Be realistic don't plan for a 10lb loss each week as TV shows and magazines can exaggerate losses and in reality, expect to lose 1lb to 2lbs a week and base your mini goal around that. If you lose more, you will have a wonderful surprise, but likewise, if you lose that exact amount over the weeks you will still be pleased and motivated that you have achieved your mini goal and much more inspired to keep on plan and move into the next month.
- Take time to track your successes and revel in all the hard work you are doing and how it's paying off. Track your food via our meal planner and keep your weight tracker up to date. People who do this are more likely to stay focused and achieve their long term goal.
Always remember to reflect on the past month if your mini goal was too high don't think the plan is not working or I may as well give up. Tweak your goal, aim a little lower, maybe you didn't distract yourself when you had that temptation to think about what you will do to change that next time. It's a learning journey, and you will need to tweak your road map, but you will learn this from the little mistakes that we all make from time to time.
Good luck to everyone, its not easy but the rewards are worth it.
Have you got any tips on how to set weight loss goals? Share them below to be in with a chance of winning our Winter Warmer Special Offer Bundle! Our favourite comment will be chosen on Thursday 14th February 2019 at 4pm!
By Joanne Jones, Customer Care Advisor
Win this Fantastic Winter Warmer Bundle